RELATIVES of 20 British victims have launched third appeal to establish truth behind 1988 plane disaster which killed 270.
By Mark Aitken
Daily Record & Sunday Mail, Apr 27, 2014
But campaigner Dr Jim Swire, whose 23-year-old daughter Flora was killed in the bombing, and other victims’ relatives believe he was innocent and will lodge an appeal against his conviction next month.
Jim said: “Megrahi became my friend after I realised that he had nothing to do with the murder of my daughter.
“I hope the appeal will succeed and, when it does, it means Megrahi’s family are no longer regarded as the family of the so-called Lockerbie bomber.
Jim says there are 20 UK-based Lockerbie families who are involved in the appeal and want the evidence that led to Megrahi’s conviction to be re-examined.
Megrahi was released from Greenock prison by the Scottish Government in August 2009 after being diagnosed with prostate cancer and died protesting his innocence.
The relatives of 20 British victims will now lodge an appeal with the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission (SCCRC), who investigate alleged miscarriages of justice. It is the third time Megrahi’s conviction has been the subject of an appeal. After he received his life sentence in 2001, Megrahi appealed but it was thrown out by judges.
A second appeal saw the SCCRC refer the case back to the High Court, suggesting there “may have been a miscarriage of justice” and it was “in the interests of justice” to look at the case again.
But in 2009, Megrahi, by then suffering from terminal prostate cancer, dropped his second appeal to improve his chances of being allowed to go home to Libya to die. The third appeal by Lockerbie families in Britain could now be launched on or near the second anniversary of Megrahi’s death on May 20, 2012.
Last month, in a documentary shown on Al-Jazeera, a former high-ranking Iranian intelligence agent said Iran was responsible for the attack.
It was supposedly in revenge for the destruction in July 1988 of an Iranian plane mistakenly shot down by
USS Vincennes, killing 290 people.