The News Corp. mogul says a front-page photo of two innocent men was "distributed by FBI" and "instantly withdrawn" after they were cleared of wrongdoing...
Hours after Monday's horrific twin bombings, the Post claimed the terrorist act had claimed 12 lives and that a "Saudi national" was in custody. The facts remained on the Post's website for hours after they had been proved wrong.
STORY: News Corp. CEO Rupert Murdoch: Anatomy of a Crazy Twitter Spree
But the tabloid's biggest misstep was yet to come: Thursday's edition featured a front-page color photo of two innocent men, one a 17-year-old Moroccan track athlete, under the headline, "Bag Men: Feds seek these two pictured at Boston Marathon." The story was deemed "reckless and appalling" by the Columbia Journalism Review, a sentiment echoed by much of the media world.
Murdoch's stance echoes that of Post editor in chief Col Allan, who on Thursday issued a statement defending his choice.
"We stand by our story," Allan said. "The image was e-mailed to law enforcement agencies yesterday afternoon seeking information about these men, as our story reported. We did not identify them as suspects."