Monday, August 15, 2005Top al Qaeda operative, Sakra, 'worked for the CIA'.http://www.zaman.com/?bl=national&alt=&amp;amp;amp;trh=20050815&hn=23006
Ercan Gun, at zaman.com 15 Agust 2005, reports on theSyrian 'Al Qaeda Militant' Luai Sakra who was arrestedfor organizing the double bomb attacks in Istanbul on15-23 November 2003.Sakra 'has confessed to Turkish police that heprovided the attackers of 9 11 with passports'.
Sakra 'claims that he knew Muhammad Ata'.
Sakra 'claims he drinks alcohol and does not pray'.
Sarka reportedly said: I was one of the people whoknew the perpetrators of September 11, and knew thetime and plan before the attacks. I also participatedin the preparations for the attacks to WTI andPentagon. I provided money and passports.
Reportedly, some of the passports, which Sakra claimedto have provided himself, were found in the ruins ofWTI.
Ercan Gun, on 15 August 2005 at zaman.com, wonders ifAl-Qaeda is a Secret Service operation?
Sakra has been interrogated for 4 days at the IstanbulAnti-Terror Department Headquarters. Reportedly thishas provided some important information.
According to Ercan Gun, Turkish intelligencespecialists now believe:
1. Al-Qaeda is the name of a secret service operation.
2. Al Qaeda is linked to a strategy of tension.
Operation Gladio ; Turkey, terror bombs, the CIA andMossad
3. Sakra, the fifth most senior man in al-Qaeda, wasoffered employment by the CIA. The CIA gave him alarge sum of money.
The CIA claimed it eventually lost contact with him.
Reportedly, in 2000 the CIA asked the Turkish securityservice MIT to capture Sakra. MIT caught Sakra inTurkey and interrogated him.
At a different period of time, Sakra was sought andcaught by Syria's al-Mukhabarat. Syria too offered himemployment. Sakra eventually became a triple agent forthe secret services.
A Strange Al Qaeda Leader: I Dont Pray, I DrinkAlcohol
ANKARA - Luai Sakra, one of the 5 most important keyfigures in Al Qaeda, was captured last week by TurkishPolice. Israel police was almost spoiling alloperation, Turkish officials say. Sakra, who has beeninterrogated in Istanbul Police Department Anti TerrorOffice for 4 days has made many interestingconfessions. He noted that he knew Muhammad Ata,planner of the attacks on the WTI and Pentagon. Sakraclaimed that he has organized terrorist activities forJihad but he said that he drinks alcohol and does notpray.
* Al Qaeda Militant Luai Sakra, arrested fororganizing the double bomb attacks in Istanbul on15-23 November, has claimed to have played a role inthe September 11 attacks to World Trade Center (WTI)in New York.
* Sakra claimed that he helped the militants whoinvolved the 9/11 Attacks. Sarka said: I providedthem passport and other things.
* Sarka said: I was one of the people who knew theperpetrators of September 11, and knew the time andplan before the attacks. I also participated in thepreparations for the attacks to WTI and Pentagon. Iprovided money and passports.* Some of the passports, which Sakra claimed to haveprovided himself, were strangely found in the ruins ofWTI.
* Sakra: I do not pray. I drink alcohol and like verymuch drinking
* Turkish police asked Sakra whether he like to prayafter the operation. But he rejected the offer andsaid I do not pray. I do not like praying.
* I do drink alcohol and I prefer like whisky andwine Sakra added.
* Remarkable anecdotes have emerged between Sakra andthe police during his interrogation. The SecurityDirectorate officials told Sakra that he might performhis religious practices to have a better dialogue withhim and to gain his confidence. "I do not pray. I alsodrink alcohol," Sakra told officials. Officials saidAdnan Ersoz and Harun Ilhan, who were detained forconnections to the Istanbul attacks, had perfomedtheir religious practices. The police said such anattitude at the top-level of al-Qaeda was confusing.Security officials noted the al-Qaeda militant hasbeen undergoing psychological therapy and said thefollowing about Sakra: "He has an intellect of agenius. He might develop plans according to momentarysituation. There were medicines on him for his illnesswhen he was arrested. He is still undergoing therapyeither for manic-depression or panic attacks. He hasno university degree but there are doctors andengineers among his siblings. He says he is ofTurkish-origin." I KNEW LONDON ATTACK
* Sakra also confessed that he knew the London attackbefore the assaults happened.
* Sakra however claims that he knew nothing about theEgypt bombings. Luai Sakra, who is said to be one ofthe 5 most important members of Al Qaeda, said that hehad no connection with the attacks in Sharm Al Sheikh,where 88 people were killed.
* Turkey on the other hand is not happy with theIsraeli terrorism warnings before the operation.Turkish officials argue that Israel used the secretintelligence Turkey provided to warn the public.However, it may had spoiled all the operation, andall the militants might escape one of the securityman said. Turkish Foreign Minister Abdullah Gul alsosaid what is Israel made is a shame. Israel hadwarned its citizens not to visit Turkey last weekbecause of the Al Qaeda risk.
* Sakra was detained after forged passports werediscovered in a flat. Turkish police continues theinvestigation.
* Confessions of Sakra, who was interrogated at theIstanbul Anti-Terror Directorate, have not been turnedinto an official statement. Sakra's conversations withpolice were written down as an official report signedby officials participating in his interrogation, butSakra is using his right of silence.
JTW with Zaman and Hurriyet14 August 2005