Photo: Donald Trump -- The Trump Organisation told the Sunday Herald that the advert was approved by Committee of Advertisement Practice.
Environmental campaigners have welcomed reports that an anti-wind farm advert by Donald Trump is to be banned.
The newspaper adverts featured a photograph of First Minister Alex Salmond and linked the Government's support of wind farms with the decision to release Abdelbaset al-Megrahi, the man convicted of the Lockerbie bombing.
The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) will publish a report this week condemning it as misleading.
The advert prompted 21 complaints, including one from Green party leader Patrick Harvie.
The MSP said:
The ASA decision is the second such ruling against the Trump Organisation over their anti-wind farm campaign. An earlier advert was banned for exaggerating the number and type of turbines used in Scotland.
Mr Harvie added:
WWF Scotland director Lang Banks said: "The advert was pretty distasteful, and it's now been shown to be factually wrong too.
George Sorial, executive vice president of the Trump Organisation told the Sunday Herald that the advert had been approved in advance by the Committee of Advertisement Practice (CAP).
He told the newspaper: "We actually wanted the content to be much stronger because Scotland is facing an economic and environmental meltdown.
Donald Trump brands Alex Salmond ‘two-faced’ over wind turbines