TOLEDO, Ohio -- After six hours of deliberations, a

jury in Lucas County Common Pleas Court found a priest

guilty of killing a nun in a Toledo hospital chapel in


There were gasps in the courtroom as the verdict was

read just after 11:30 a.m.

The jurors did not look at the Rev. Gerald Robinson as

they left the courtroom. Robinson showed no visible

reaction in the courtroom.

Judge Thomas Osowik immediately sentenced Robinson,

68, to the mandatory term of 15 years to life in

prison. That means he will be eligible for parole

after 15 years.

Robinson has been on trial for the past two weeks,

accused of killing Sister Margaret Ann Pahl the day

before Easter in the chapel at Mercy Hospital.

Prosecutors contend the killing was sparked by the

priest's simmering anger over Pahl's domineering ways.

The nun was stabbed through an altar cloth with the

punctures forming an upside down cross and annointed

with a smudge of her blood on the forehead to humilate

her in death, prosecutors said.

In a statement, the Diocese of Toledo calls this "a

sad day" and says it hopes the conclusion of the trial

can bring some healing to all those affected by the


Assistant Lucas County Prosecutor Dean Mandros said he

was surprised jurors came back with their decision

after only about six hours of deliberations. But

Mandros said his team always believed it was right in

going after Robinson and always believed Robinson lied

to police about his whereabouts when Pahl was killed.

Defense attorney John Thebes said when the jury's

verdict was read, he and Robinson shared the same

emotion: shock. But he said his team did everything

they possibly could.

The priest's lawyers say they intend to appeal.


The case against Rev. Robinson: What the jury didn't


By Harriet Ryan

Court TV

TOLEDO, Ohio — The jury that convicted the Rev. Gerald

Robinson Thursday listened to 41 witnesses during the

three-week trial, but they did not hear every piece of

information authorities uncovered in the course of

their investigation.

Prosecutors were barred by law from presenting some

evidence against the priest. Other information was

deemed irrelevant to the murder of Sr. Margaret Ann

Pahl or open to too many interpretations to benefit

their case. Among the things jurors did not hear:

The polygraph. Two weeks after the murder, Robinson

failed a lie detector exam given by a police

investigator. A retest administered by a polygrapher

hired by the Catholic diocese the next month was

inconclusive. The defense has said the priest was too

exhausted and stressed from the police interrogation

for the test to be effective.

S&M allegation. In 2003, a nun told a diocesan panel

that she was sexually abused by Robinson when she was

15. She claimed that another priest paid her father to

let Robinson engage her in sadomasochistic acts

involving a whip. The same woman also alleged she was

raped repeatedly as a girl during satanic rituals led

by priests. Authorities have not been able to

substantiate or disprove her charges.

Occult book. When police searched Robinson's home in

2004, they found a pamphlet entitled "The Occult."

Many passages were underlined, including one

describing a black Mass in which "an innocent" was

used as an altar. The booklet was published by a

Catholic group in the 1970s, before the murder, but it

was unclear whether Robinson obtained it before or

after the murder.

Swiatecki's pleas. When police interviewed Robinson

about two weeks after the murder, the other hospital

chaplain, Rev. Jerome Swiatecki, accompanied him to

the station. According to the detectives, Swiatecki

the son of a police officer — emphatically and

repeatedly urged Robinson to "just tell them the

truth." Some in law enforcement have speculated that

Robinson confessed to Swiatecki, but that Swiatecki

would have been bound by the seal of the confessional

not to reveal any details.

Coffin photos. Police officers searching Robinson's

house in 2004 found hundreds of photos of corpses in

coffins. Some appeared to be very old and European.

Although taking pictures of dead relatives is common

among some ethnic traditions, the sheer number in the

priest's house suggested that not all of the dead were

family members.